Saturday, September 29, 2012

The rhino shaped mandala

I quote wikipedia "A sand mandala is ritualistically destroyed once it has been completed and its accompanying ceremonies and viewing are finished to symbolize the Buddhist doctrinal belief in the transitory nature of material life."

I was recently holding my partner as our chocolate labs were bounding all around us. Skippy, scout, weatherby, reggie, buck, Nina, and Sanchez we call them. I realized that we were only going to be together for a short while in the scheme of things and even though we might sabotage one another at times that we had to really cling to each other or what is the point. 


So as I went outside filled with the thought of seizing my small slice of happiness from the pie of the cruel world, weather rhino clutched in one hand 
and my can of matte sealer in the other. I really should have laughed aloud at myself for trying to capture this moment. I know the above mentioned monks would have. I was just trying to capture the moment that I had found. A snapshot in the lifespan of this poor, long outdated rhino who's designed relevance ceased centuries before it was recovered and pressed back into service by my company of marines. When I tried to capture the perfect moment of weathering I had glimpsed the moment I finished it, rushing to the intertrons to try and get some input on just how wonderful a job I had done the matte sealer blew away all traces of my weathering save for some muted red where I had painstakingly scratched away the paint on the outer hatch with my minitaure tyranid fore limbs I keep around for just such occasions.

Who knows how many birthdays space marines had inside of it before my rag tag squad found it. How many heroes of ages past bled out on its decks... So I'm going to go home to my labradors and my partner and hold her as our time together slowly ebbs away and watch us grow rusty together.

No comments:

Post a Comment